Saturday, September 20, 2008

What Usui Sensei means to me


Recently I got back into healing therapy again. Not really getting back, more like exploring and learning again.

I was introduced to a myofascial therapist and became a patient to explore what can be done with my bad neck and back. (and I have found something that works and will share later..)

Healing and relieving of physical problems and pain had always held a great interest for me. Maybe it has something to do with the good feeling of being able to build something, put something together or repair something that was not working too properly.

With all this the journey led to picking up all kinds of magic and then to Reiki. Apart from the healing aspect itself, it was the life of the founder, Dr. Usui, himself who made a deep impression on me.

From the few stories that we know now, he led a simple life. If it is true that he meditated in the mountains, he was deeply spiritual. From his service to the beggars and the victims of the earthquake, he showed great compassion.

Typical of the orient way of doing things, students gathered to him. I can appreciate that part of his culture which is similar to my own. Through my experience in the learning of martial arts and other stuff, a good teacher is hard to find and a great master is one who shares whole heartedly with very little expectations of payment.

What I learnt and hopefully others see it too is that the Reiki that is taught is not so much about healing but of giving and offering of services. More importantly it is about leading a deeply spiritual life. A life beautifully lived is a life that leads one to self understanding and inner knowledge of the greater scheme of things.

That is how I view my Reiki grandmaster-a fine example of a life well lived.

No comments: