Friday, December 26, 2008

Dubai




I was into the Aghora book and at one point, it mentioned that Bombay is a cursed place.

People who live there will in the end be polluted by its curse. Only those very rare ones will come off it purer. Reminds me of the peacock that imbibes poison unharmed being able to transmute poison into the beauty of its plumes.

It made me reflect on some of those places I have been. It is true, isn't it that there are some places which makes you comfortable and then again there are those that turns you off. Of course here I would remind myself of the teaching that whatever we see is but a reflection of our own nature. (what this means is that whatever follows is to be taken with the pinch of salt that it deserves as it is only my own perception)

Recently I had an opportunity to be in Dubai. I had hopes of a desert walkabout but I did not get to see or do very much as the lack of mobility was a major obstacle and taxi fares prohibitive.

There are some places which saps your energy and Dubai is one of them. Rich though it may be but behind the eyes of many, the human soul is missing. The workers are mainly if not entirely men coming from the Indian subcontinent. Except for one who says he is Arab, all the taxi drivers I have rode with are either Pakistanis or Indians. They earn what one night in a good hotel would cost. I read that 109 Indians died by their own hands as of September'08. This despite the facade that Dubai is the land of plenty.


The locals are handsome by most standards. By nature or by exposure, I observed that the migrant workers have developed very ugly values, being coarse, like to bully and on the whole contemptous both to foreigners and to their own kind. The beautiful side of human nature is sorely missing.

This attribute seems to extend to the habitat. Everywhere there is barren-ness like somehow a big torch has scorched the place and left its curse.

Alongside all this barren-ness lies manmade megaliths as tributes to man's ego and slavery to the senses. I saw all this decadence that seems so self inflicted. It conjures images of card 16.

This is Dubai. I write so briefly and there is so much room for missed perceptions. Any rejoinders?

No comments: