Monday, November 10, 2008

Yvonne Foong

Yvonne Foong needs money for her surgery. She is leaving for the states December14 and right now is short of airfare and board expenses. (post update ..she flew off today i heard on short funds. pray the good doctors will stabilise her failing eyesight.)

A dear friend has been actively, directly and indirectly helping out, praise to her. When we met up a few days ago, I made a small contribution. I feel a little bad that I am only offering so little but then this friend told me that someone we both know also made a contribution. It is not the size of the contribution but the spontaneity of that gesture which is most touching. For I know that this person is in need of whatever dollars he has and his generosity is most touching. It speaks volumes of the man.

I am again reminded that it is not the amount but the thought. a dollar may seem a little but many dollars add up.

Generosity comes in many forms. The effort puts in is a generosity and that becomes the biggest contribution since without that effort, whatever amount collected would never materialise.

I have heard of the remark, "how do I know that the money goes where it should go?" Sadly, this is commonly heard. I believe that if we are giving then that thought should never arise at all because if evryone thinks like that, then nothing would materialise. Giving should come as something that I want to do. I should put that thought and energy into knowing that help is offered and it will get to the right place. If a drowning man is shouting for help, no debate should be made as to whether he deserves help.

Back to Yvonne. I know her as a plucky little lass, barely 22 but she has come a long way. In fact, I would be proud to have her courage and strength. Her malady has battered her so much and yet she remains a sweet girl without any trace of misgivings nor anger. I learn a lot from her. Grace her be blessed.

2 comments:

InnerJourney said...

Hey my friend, you have already contributed twice to yvonne. in your eyes, your heart, your mind, your contributions seem small but it weighed a ton of gold to me. hmmm, why dont you link your article to yvonne's blog?
tks for being there for those who needed some light.

LaiSW said...

it is linked. it is over her name. click and it will take u there. i hv also added yvonne on blogroll.