Monday, August 31, 2009

Wing Chun Kung Fu

Recently there was a hong kong movie featuring Donny Yen and Simon Yam. The title of the movie is “Ip Man”.

This movie is interesting to me for many reasons.

The first is that it is about the Chinese kung fu or self defense art of Wing Chun. Wing Chun is an effective, efficient and scientific self defense method. I know this as I have trained in it for many years. It is quite thrilling to see a movie about Ip Man or Yip Man the founding father of contemporary wing chun. Although there are many scenes in the movie which is not wing chun but nonetheless, wing chun is the theme. With the release of this wing chun movie, I hope that wing chun will become more popular or at the very least, many will know that it exists.

Secondly, not many kung fu movies are made these days. Many of us will remember the heyday of kung fu movies of the 70s and 80s. Those were the days of shaolin kung fu and no less Bruce Lee. Pardon me but somehow it is unavoidable to mention Bruce Lee whenever kung fu is mentioned. Looks like this occasion is no exception. Good kung fu movies are rare and this one has Simon Yam and Donny Yen, veteran stars in their own right. I will not say much about the moves for kung fu is not about flowery or fancy moves but this one is at least nice to watch. My sifu told me that there has been an increased interest and enquiry for training in his wing chun center which he attributes to the release of this movie. That is good.

From my experience with the martial arts students, many have taken the wrong approach. Many think it is a macho thing. Chauvinism and egoism play big roles and this reflects ignorance of the purpose of training (at least for contemporary society). They do not understand the essence of kung fu or martial art.

The true student of kung fu eventually develops humility. A student who goes into the punching bag with his or her full ego has missed the point. Of course, the skill grows and with that confidence and respect for life too. Well…I know a good wing chun teacher in Kuala Lumpur so if anyone is interested, drop me an email

2 comments:

I'mTooGoodToBeTrue said...

hello.. good piece of article.. this knowledge should be passed on to the next generation! i will support and love you..;)

LaiSW said...

:-) you can now visit www.wingchuninsights.com for more..