Saturday, April 12, 2008

Plight of the Tibetans

Dear Editor,

I refer to the disgust expressed by “Sports Lover” over the Olympic torch protestors printed in your paper Saturday 12 April 2008.

Although this paper should not be a forum for international issues that have no direct bearing on us Malaysians but I feel it is necessary to put things in another perspective.

The plight of the Tibetans and the loss of their homeland since 1959 have not received much international exposure and judging from Sports Lover’s comments much less here than the rest of the world. It is possibly a reflection of our ignorance on this issue.

From my little exposure to Tibetans both here and my travels there as well as seeing their pathetic survival in India and Nepal, I believe that their cause of fighting against the loss of their homeland and culture deserves more respect than the use of the word “disgust” by sports lover suggests.

We watch the Olympic from the comforts of our favourite cushy sofa but have we given a thought to the sufferings of the millions who have died through flight or worse still through imprisonment and torture? I do believe in the spirit of sports and salute the dedication shown by sportsmen and women and that they should not be the ones to lose out. However, what other forums or ways are there left? The pope has spoken. So has the American president. And Richard Gere.

Historians may argue forever over who actually has sovereignty over Tibet and parts of Qinghai but the humiliation and suffering of the Tibetan people continues. Instead of talking about what is the right way, perhaps it is better to look at things from a more informed angle with some compassion thrown in.

Dear Editor, I hope that you kindly publish this letter so that others can know a little about what is happening outside our shores.
Thank you

1 comment:

InnerJourney said...

Well said. I am very much behind time as I had not read the papers for the past 12 days - since I left the shores of PJ. Let me know which day's papers and I read what "disgusted' wrote.