Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pilgrimage (ii)


In 199x, my buddys and I joined other buddies on a 'pilgrimage' to the sacred places and monasteries in NE Thailand. There we had the happy karma to meet the Venerable Maha Boowa and pay homage to the relics of Ajahn Mun Bhuridatta and Ajahn Tate.

A long journey with many nights on our bus and one dinner taken way past midnight. But it was all worth it with many inspirations from meeting so many holy monks who "just like you, I am also walking along the path".

It was IJ's comment on my 'pilgrimage on foot' that reminded me of the Wat Thamkrabok near Bangkok. This monastery is famous for their method of treating drug addicts. The monks there are not allowed modern transport and wherever they have to go, they have to go on foot.

The senior monk, an American jokingly said that he is ok to accept and invitation to Penang but we will have to be patient as it will take him a fair bit of time to walk there.

On a humorous note, I remembered rushing there before the noon time Dana (food offering). In we all went to the main hall, awkwardly may I add, on our knees. Well, the monks already had their plates full and the volumes were already huge. With our 'generous' offerings I definitely believe they are all going to have the unenviable hard time of stuffing them all in. You see, monks are not supposed to waste and are obliged to finish what is in front of them. One of our buddies even offered chewing gum....:-) I wouldn't want to be in their "shoes".

1 comment:

InnerJourney said...

hey i remember the chewing gum thing. maybe the monks welcomed that for a change. hahahaa